Thursday, March 29, 2012

DBA for multiple servers

Is anybody has experience to DBA more than 100 SQl Servers at a time?
If so what are the main startegy and main challenges you had? what is
your best practice in terms of day to day admin and backup and
recovery?soalvajavab1@.yahoo.com wrote:
> Is anybody has experience to DBA more than 100 SQl Servers at a time?
> If so what are the main startegy and main challenges you had? what is
> your best practice in terms of day to day admin and backup and
> recovery?
>
I don't think that tasks are that much different when you have 5 or 100
SQL servers, so could you be a bit more specific in what you'd like to
know? From my point of view it's quite important that the backup jobs
works. I've written my own scripts that automatically backups up all
databases on a SQL server, so once these has been scheduled they just
notify me when they fails. You'd then also like to monitor the free
space on your disks on the server, but for that the company most likely
has a monitoring tool for that.
In terms of what more you'd like to do is a matter of personal
preference and company policy. E.g. I know that many people don't like
to have their databases set to autogrow, but I normally do that for most
databases. Currently I'm looking after approx. 1000 SQL server databases
and for me it works fine to have them set to autogrow. I've then created
a stored proc that runs every night on most of the servers and collect a
number of data for each database. This tells me when there has been
created new databases, when a database has been deleted, file growth,
backup file growth, recovery mode change etc. I then get an email every
morning with the changes.
Apart from the above, there are a number of database monitoring tools
available on the market. I haven't actually used any of them yet but I
think they can do some of what I've done myself (..and of course a lot
more...). Maybe somebody else has some experience on this?
Bottomline is that what you need to look for isn't a standard answer,
but pretty much depends on the setup and your company/company policy. I
also think that the DBA role can be quite different from one company to
another.
Regards
Steen Schlter Persson
Database Administrator / System Administrator|||I think that with that number-- you'll just need to follow these guidelines:
a) use profiler on all machines
b) run index tuning wizard on your busiest databases
c) build poormon enterprise level performan aggregation tools
d) encourage people to use Reporting Services and Analysis Services in order
to leverage this mountain of data
<soalvajavab1@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1177946795.389483.51580@.y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> Is anybody has experience to DBA more than 100 SQl Servers at a time?
> If so what are the main startegy and main challenges you had? what is
> your best practice in terms of day to day admin and backup and
> recovery?
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment